What is Tabata Training?
With Tabata training you exercise for 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds, and repeat 8 times. This with a short preparation time before starting is a Tabata. It's that simple.
This technique discovered by Dr. Izumi Tabata in Tokyo gives you maximum benefits in a short period of time.Benefits:
- It burns fat! Tabata raises your metabolism (great for morning workouts)
- It's fast! You gain the same benefits of long drawn out workouts in shorter time
- It's versatile! You can do heavy weightlifting or light aerobics or anything in between. Do the exercises that are right for you, but do them!
- It's proven! It really works, this technique has been researched extensively, and it is becoming popular because people are getting results!
How To Do Tabata Training
You can do Tabata training with weights or simple body weight exercises. First choose what type of exercise you will do. Start with a short preparation to get ready and alternate between work and rest periods for eight cycles. During the work period exercise continuously and as rigorously as you can for the entire 20 second period. During the rest period, stop exercise, catch your breath, and get ready for the next work period. Repeat this for eight cycles.Tips:
- Do Tabata Training in the morning to raise your metabolism, and burn more fat throughout the day.
- Alternate exercises if you wish to give your work out a variety. For example, maybe you do squats on work period 1, and then on work period 2 you do jumping jacks, and you alternate between the two.
- Find a good Tabata timer, we recommend Tabata Pro for the iPhone and iPod touch, or our free online tabata timer at tabatatimer.com
- Start off light. Treat your first few Tabata workouts as practice. Ease in to the routine.
Squats, Deadlifts, High Impact Strength Training
These exercises are great choices for Tabata and increase core strength, targeting multiple muscle groups for maximum impact. They provide a great full body movement exercising many muscles in the back, legs, hips, torso, and forearms.
Stationary Bike, Running, or Rowing
The original Tabata protocol involved stationary cycling. It's the safest and most convenient way to do the workout. Running or rowing, are also great aerobic choices that increase heart rate, metabolism, and fat burning potential.
Any Exercise is Better Than None!
Any exercise can be used for Tabata. You can do jumping jacks, sit-ups, run in place, maybe alternate between walking fast and slow. Anything to get you moving is a good start! Exercise promotes a sense of well being and helps you enjoy life, so start today.